I’m in the process of adding support for context objects to DerelictGL3. The ultimate goal is to allow things to work as they always have without breaking any existing code while allowing those who choose to use context objects to be able to do so without the existing stuff getting in the way. To that end, the first step was a major refactor of the existing module structure.
So far, I know that the changes do not affect a project I am currently developing on Windows. DerelictGL3 compiles and my project compiles and runs, though it is possible that something I’m not currently using is broken. I also know that DerelictGL3 compiles on my 32-bit Mint installation in VirtualBox. Beyond that, the Linux side is untested. Finally, I don’t know anything about what the state is on Mac. I tried to be very, very careful in refactoring the CGL stuff. There wasn’t much there to worry about, but I wouldn’t be surprised if compilation is broken on Mac.
If you are using DerelictGL3 from DerelictOrg on any platform, I would greatly appreciate it if you can test the refactored codebase. To do so, you only need change the dependency in your package/dub.json file from “~master” to “~contexts”, which is the name of the new branch. Please report any issues you have in the DerelictOrg forum or, preferably, send me some pull requests.
I don’t want to move on to the next phase, actually adding in support for the context objects, until I’m as sure as I can be that nothing is currently broken. Thanks in advance to all who help!
A new version of SDL , 2.0.2, has been released. I’m getting ready to incorporate the changes into DerelictSDL2 master. If you are currently using ~master as a dub dependency, this will break loading for you the next time you upgrade your packages as the new version adds several new functions that won’t be present in the 2.0.1 shared library. If you are using ~master now, I suggest you change the dependency to ~2.0.1 unless you absolutely need anything from the new API additions. Both the 2.0.0 and 2.0.1 branches will work with the 2.0.2 library, so you can lock onto either of those branches and still take advantage of the latest bug fixes if you don’t need any of the new API calls. This will protect you from future breakages when/if the API in ~master changes with future releases of SDL.
Andrei has announced the schedule for DConf 2014. Looks to be a powerful conference. Even Scott Meyers is dropping in this year to deliver one of the keynotes. I’m still intending to go, though I haven’t been able to finalize any plans yet. I really would hate to miss it!
Discuss it in the newsgroup or on reddit.
The time has come. Two months later than I had anticipated, but it has come nonetheless. I’ve just migrated the last package I intend to migrate to DerelictOrg. From now on, I am finished with Derelict 3. Soon, I will update the project REDME to indicate that the entire project is, essentially, deprecated. I do not intend to touch it ever again. No bugfixes, no updates, nothing. I will keep it in the dub registry until after DConf, then I will deregister it. The source will remain on github indefinitely. The Derelict3 section of the forums will remain open as well.
If you are still using Derelict 3 and have not yet migrated to DerelictOrg, what the hell are you waiting for? If you are using dub, it’s a simple matter of changing your dependencies. You shouldn’t need to change any code at all except in a couple of specific circumstances. It is my intention that DerelictOrg be the final, permanent iteration of the project. No Derelict 5, no more moving around or reorganizing the packages — what I have now should be the final evolution. So give up Derelict 3 and make the move!
My next focus for DerelictOrg is to start inviting in some of the derelict-extras maintainers along with their packages. I’ll likely be moving at the same glacial pace as always, but it will get done. But the very next item on my list is a new Allegro 5 binding I put together. My old one (in Derelict 2) had some issues I didn’t know how to work around at the time. Now, I do. I actually created the binding two or three months ago, but wanted to wait until the migration was complete until I added it to the repo. I expect to get around to pushing it in a week or so.
Comments, questions, criticisms and whatnot are welcome as always.
Under the auspices of Andrei Alexandrescu, Facebook have released the source to Flint, a C++ linter written in D. You can read the story about the tool and how it’s used in a post at Facebook. You can also join the discussion on Reddit.