About five days ago, Sönke announced a new release of vibe.d and, just a few days later, a new release of DUB. The new vibe.d has quite a long list of improvements and fixes. So does the new DUB. And if you follow that link to the DUB changelog, you’ll notice that version 0.9.21 is at the top. That’s because it’s already in beta. It’s starting to look like Sönke never sleeps.
* Brian Schott announced a new version of the D Completion Daemon, “an auto-complete system for the D programming language that is not tied to any specific text editor or IDE.” If anyone develops a DCD plugin for Sublime Text 3, do let me know!
* Facebook has started offering bounties for DMD bugs. Daniel Murphy has already claimed one. If you’ve got the know-how and some spare time, knock yourself out.
* Fedora users may be interested in Dejan Lekic’s RPM work.
* Finally, I’ve tagged a 2.0.0 branch of DerelictSDL2 and made sure it is updated to the SDL 2.0.0 release (it was actually missing a few things). The master branch now coincides with SDL 2.0.1. Also, I’ve added a release tag of 1.0.0 to DerelictUtil. I recommend that anyone maintaining third-party Derelict-style bindings add the 1.0.0 tag as a dependency for dub rather than ~master. I’ve also updated the SDL2 binding in Derelict3 to SDL 2.0.1. If you are using Derelict3, please be aware that I will stop updating it in the near future, once I’ve gotten everything I want moved from there to DerelictOrg.
A couple weeks ago, Andrej Mitrovic announced that he had ported the Chipmunk2D physics library to D. This is not a binding, nor a “D-ification”, but a direct port. So if you are looking to make a 2D physics game in D, you might want to clone his dchip repo. Personally, I have no plans to continue maintaining my binding for ODE and intend to recommend DChip to anyone who asks.
Kudos to Andrej. Every time I’ve had the idea to take a C code base and port it to or rewrite it in D, I’ve taken a guess at the amount of time involved and put it on that crowded pile of unfinished and unstarted projects called the backburner. He charged ahead and ported 11,000 loc. Cool stuff.
A new version of the asynchronous web app framework, vibe.d, has been released. This release has been updated to compile with the latest DMD, deprecated functionality has been removed, and a number of new features and bug fixes have been implemented. One of the many items on my “projects I’d like to do” list could benefit from vibe.d. I hope one day to give it a try.