About five days ago, Sönke announced a new release of vibe.d and, just a few days later, a new release of DUB. The new vibe.d has quite a long list of improvements and fixes. So does the new DUB. And if you follow that link to the DUB changelog, you’ll notice that version 0.9.21 is at the top. That’s because it’s already in beta. It’s starting to look like Sönke never sleeps.
* Brian Schott announced a new version of the D Completion Daemon, “an auto-complete system for the D programming language that is not tied to any specific text editor or IDE.” If anyone develops a DCD plugin for Sublime Text 3, do let me know!
* Facebook has started offering bounties for DMD bugs. Daniel Murphy has already claimed one. If you’ve got the know-how and some spare time, knock yourself out.
* Fedora users may be interested in Dejan Lekic’s RPM work.
* Finally, I’ve tagged a 2.0.0 branch of DerelictSDL2 and made sure it is updated to the SDL 2.0.0 release (it was actually missing a few things). The master branch now coincides with SDL 2.0.1. Also, I’ve added a release tag of 1.0.0 to DerelictUtil. I recommend that anyone maintaining third-party Derelict-style bindings add the 1.0.0 tag as a dependency for dub rather than ~master. I’ve also updated the SDL2 binding in Derelict3 to SDL 2.0.1. If you are using Derelict3, please be aware that I will stop updating it in the near future, once I’ve gotten everything I want moved from there to DerelictOrg.
A couple weeks ago, Andrej Mitrovic announced that he had ported the Chipmunk2D physics library to D. This is not a binding, nor a “D-ification”, but a direct port. So if you are looking to make a 2D physics game in D, you might want to clone his dchip repo. Personally, I have no plans to continue maintaining my binding for ODE and intend to recommend DChip to anyone who asks.
Kudos to Andrej. Every time I’ve had the idea to take a C code base and port it to or rewrite it in D, I’ve taken a guess at the amount of time involved and put it on that crowded pile of unfinished and unstarted projects called the backburner. He charged ahead and ported 11,000 loc. Cool stuff.
DerelictSDL2 will get a new branch for version 2.0.0. There’s no version 1.0 because I’m matching the version of libSDL2 it binds to. Eventually, all of the Derelict packages, with a handful of exceptions, will follow the same pattern — branches based on the version of the bound library. If you are using DerelictSDL2, you should be prepared to modify your package.json file to depend on the new version once I’ve announced it here. Because shortly after that, I’ll be updating the master branch to the current libSDL2 2.0.1 API. So once I update the master branch, you’ll start seeing exceptions if you aren’t using the latest version of the SDL2 shared library. Eventually, I will add a 2.0.1 branch, but I’ll give it some time to settle.
Of concern to those maintaining bindings based on DerelictUtil, I’ll be tagging a 1.0 version soon. There won’t be any branching here, as I don’t expect the API to change. In this case, it won’t hurt you to depend on ~master, but I do recommend updating your dependencies to >= 1.0.0 once I’ve announced it.
I wanted to give a heads up before implementing this so as to catch as few people off guard as possible. I’ll probably wait a week or so to give it time to filter through the community, but it’s coming soon.
If you are still using Derelict3 rather than DerelictOrg, I once again strongly recommend you switch. Unless, of course, I haven’t yet transitioned a Derelict3 package you are using.
Denis Shelomovskij recently announced that his Phobos-enhancing library, Unstandard, is available. In the announcement, he stresses that there is nothing official about it. It’s just a collection of useful library modules that he has put together over the past year providing general functionality that Phobos does not. Among other things, it provides utilities for string manipulation, memory management, and even multidimensional rectangular arrays. There may be something for everyone in there.